St. Cecilia Parish
Dedicated in 1894, St Cecilia's Parish had not received any restoration work since 1954. The primary mission behind this project was to restore the building fabric and make the various ministries housed at the Parish more visible, accessible, and inviting. The exterior masonry, roof, and stained glass windows were cleaned and restored. The interior of the upper church was also restored to its original colorful appearance. The lower church was gutted and converted into a Parish Center with classrooms, a coffee bar, and a large social bar. A four story building that blocked light into the Nave was removed and replaced with a glass stairway and elevator. In addition, a glassy, transparent entrance building was designed to allow daylight to illuminate the stained glass windows on the east side of the Nave, brightening the interior and offering a view through the building to the newly created gardens.
2016 Faith and Form Award
2012 Preservation Achievement Award, Boston Preservation Alliance
Location: Boston, MA
Photos by Bruce T. Martin